Crab cakes… but make it vegan. yes, you read that right. I’m about to give you the recipe for some vegan crab cakes that will actually make you stop and ask yourself if you’re actually eating seafood. These crabLESS cakes are divine, especially with this delicious pineapple mango salsa on top. Everyone who tries them is always in disbelief at not only how delicious they are, but how reminiscent they are of an actual crab cake. The mixture of the hearts of palm and the chickpeas gives a nice crab like texture. While the seaweed, nori flakes, and dill give a nice seafood-y flavor.
I started started a strict 21 day plant based fast at the beginning of the year, but had no worries because I could make even the most ultimate foodie believe that these crabLESS cakes might actually have a little crab meat in them. Food is my thing. And one thing about it, you can give me any list of ingredients, and I’m gonna make something shake!
Two years ago, I created a cookbook of 21 delicious plant based/ vegan recipes to have for each day of the #danielfast, and I still use it faithfully. Even when Im not fasting because plant based/ vegan doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy a satisfying meal. No person ever has had a piece of unseasoned chicken breast fresh out the oven and thought “𝘰𝘮𝘨, 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘪𝘴 𝘴𝘰 𝘨𝘰𝘰𝘥!” So we’re clear, flavor comes from seasonings, spices, and herbs- not animals.
Have you ever tried a plant based/ vegan dish and couldn’t believe it was vegan? If not, these plant based crabLESS cakes are about to change that. The full recipe is below, and you can watch the video of me making these here. If you want more delicious plant based recipes. Grab my ebook here.
|Prep Time||15 mins|
|Cook Time||20 mins|
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas/ garbanzo beans
- 1 15 oz can hearts of palm
- 1.5 cups oats
- 4 tbsp reserved garbanzo bean liquid
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp vegan Worchestire sauce
- 1/2 cup green onions
- 1 seaweed sheet ground up
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp dill
- 1 tbsp nori flakes
- 2 tsp Old Bay
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp Badia complete seasoning
- 1 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- Pour the liquid from the can of garbanzo beans into a separate bowl and then combine the garbanzo beans and the hearts of palm in a food processor. Only pulse a few times to break them down to a crab like consistency. (Do not over pulse or your mixture will be mushy. If you do not have a food processor, just mash them together with a fork until you have a crab like consistency).
- Pulse the seaweed sheet in a food processor until it is in a dust like consistency. If you don’t have a food processor, just finely chop the seaweed sheet into tiny pieces.
- In a large bowl, whisk the reserved liquid from the beans until it's foamy. Next add Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, mustard, ground up seaweed, and all the dry seasonings. Mix until everything is combined.
- Add the oats, green onion, garbanzo bean/ chickpea mixture. Gently combine until the mixture is incorporated. Add salt/ pepper to taste if needed. Form your patties and line them on a baking sheet. Freeze them for about 20 minutes so that the mixture is firm.
- Add a tbsp of oil and fry on each side for about 5 minutes or until golden brown, pop in the oven or airfryer at 350° for 10-12 minutes.
- Top with salsa of your choice and enjoy!
Leave a Reply