A few days ago I was in the mood for a delicious pizza, but no pizza place had exactly what I wanted: sauteed mushrooms and caramelized onions. Mmmmm. Just thinking about it makes me hungry. I knew exactly what taste I was going for and I also knew that the only way to get that exact taste was if I made it myself. So I made a quick run to Publix to grab the ingredients, came home and created some yummy goodness.
I made a bechamel sauce for the base and topped with mushrooms, onions, and arugula. Bechamel sauce is basically just a roux. There are many variations of it, but essentially, it’s a mixture of milk, flour, and butter with added spices & seasonings. For the flatbread, I used garlic naan bread- so delicious! Also, keep in mind that if you don’t like mushrooms and onions, you can use whatever toppings you’d like. The only thing you can’t change is the fresh mozzarella. You have to use fresh mozzarella! Stay away from the Kraft shredded mozzarella if you want that authentic pizza flavor. See below for the quick and easy recipe!
Mushroom & Caramalized Onions Flatbread
- 1 naan (flatbread)
- 8 oz baby bella mushrooms
- 1/2 white onion, sliced
- 3-4 slices fresh mozzarella cheese (please use fresh, not shredded!)
- balsamic glaze to drizzle
- handful arugula
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/4 white onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp butter
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk (or whatever milk you'd like- just not sweet or flavored)
- 3 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp adobo seasoning (or complete seasoning)
- salt & pepper to taste
- Sautee chopped onions in olive oil on medium heat for about two minutes. Then add minced garlic and sautee for another minute. Be careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add in flour and whisk for about 2 minutes. Then add butter and continue to whisk for 2 minutes.
- Add milk, remaining seasonings, and turn heat to low. Whisk all ingredients until fully incorporated and let the sauce thicken. It will thicken fast so pay attention to the texture.
- Saute the sliced onions in olive oil on low-medium heat for about 12-15 minutes or until they caramelize. Remember to stir the onions every 2-3 minutes, so they won't stick to the pot.
- Sautee the mushrooms in olive oil and 1 tbsp of butter until tender. Add salt & pepper to taste.
Assemble the Flatbread
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place naan flatbread on a baking sheet. Spread the bechamel sauce over the flat bread. Add mushrooms, caramelized onions, and top with the fresh mozzarella. Bake on 400 degrees for 12 minutes, then broil for 3 minutes.
- Remove flatbread from the oven and let cool. Then add handful of arugula and top with balsamic glaze.
- Enjoy! 🙂