This weekend while planning for dinner, I got a craving for some chicken parmesan. I hadn’t made it in a while and I knew that Richard would love it, so chicken parm was on the menu! I’ve made it a few different times in the past and it always turned out yummy, but this time I was adding a secret ingredient that would take it to a new level… heavy cream!
If you’re a foodie like me, then you aren’t surprised about my obsession with heavy cream. It’s an amazingly delicious thick cream that contains a good amount of butterfat, which is why it tastes so damn good! It really does elevate almost any sauce with its thick, rich, and creamy flavor. But enough about the heavy cream. Let’s get into how I made this yummy goodness. Some pics as well as the recipe is below!!
The first few times I made this, I made the sauce from scratch. This time I decided to use my favorite store-bought tomato sauce and just tweaked it a little. I used the Ragu tomato, onion, and garlic sauce as the base. I added some sautéed onions and garlic, a little bit of butter, and, of course, heavy cream to give the sauce some more dimension. For your base, you can use whatever sauce you like, but this is my go-to, so I highly recommend this one!
This was literally the best chicken parmesan I’ve ever had, no kidding!! I served it over a bed of thin spaghetti topped with a little more of my yummy tomato sauce. Hubby completely cleaned his plate and went back for seconds…my snapchat followers are my witness 🙂 I hope you make this and tag me on Instagram.
Read on for the recipe!
Creamy Chicken Parmesan
- 3 large chicken breasts cut in halves
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup regular bread crumbs
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 cup shredded mozzarela cheese
- 1 45 oz bottle Ragu Chunky Tomato, Garlic & Onion Spaghetti Sauce
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut chicken breasts in half the long way. Cover with parchment paper and beat the chicken with a meat tenderizer. This will make the meat more tender and better absorb the flavor. If you don't have a meat tenderizer, use an empty wine bottle- it works the same 🙂
- Assemble your dredging station. Put the flour in one bowl, eggs in another bowl, and then put the panko, regular breadcrumbs, and parmesan cheese in the last bowl. Dredge the chicken in the flour, then in the egg, then in the breadcrumb mixture and let sit.
- In a saucepan, saute onion and garlic. Once transluscent, add remaining Ragu sauce (leave about 1/4 in the jar). Then add heavy cream and butter and let simmer.
- Pour some of the tomato sauce in the bottom of a baking pan, just enough to coat the pan. Put a large dollop of the tomato sauce on top of each chicken breast and then top each breast with a generous amount of mozzarella. Bake in the oven on 400 degrees for 20 mins and then broil for 5-7 mins.
- While chicken is baking, make spaghetti according to box instructions. Be sure to lightly salt your water before adding the pasta.
- Remove chicken from oven and let sit for 3-5 mins. Then assemble your chicken parmesan and enjoy! 🙂